Last Call on Thanksgiving Boxes
This Friday, November 18th, is the last call for pre-ordering a Thanksgiving box. There are still plenty of boxes available, so tell your friends and family! We will have two different boxes available: a Winter Storage box and a Fall Greens box. Both boxes have some of the same items, but the winter storage box has more items such as potatoes, winter squash and root crops whereas the fall greens box is heavier on the kale, lettuce, collards, etc. Each box is $30 and quantities will be limited. If you would like a Thanksgiving box, you may sign up for one via the Farmigo website here. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask!
What’s In Your Share
For this week, you’ll receive:
Farm Stand Extras
For Sale this week, we’ll have:
+ Bunching Onions
+ Butterhead Lettuce Heads
+ 2nds Sweet Potatoes
+ Braising Mix
+ Mustard Greens
+ Purple carrots
Baked Beet and Carrot Burgers with Brown Rice, Sunflower Seeds, and Cheddar Cheese
From Farmer John’s Cookbook
If you like veggie burgers, you’ll love this recipe. Sweet beets and carrots give luscious flavor to these patties—together with pungent onion, snappy Cheddar Cheese, and lots of toasty nuts and seeds. Additional flour and egg could be substituted for the rice.
Butter for greasing the baking sheet
1/2 cup sesame seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
2 cups peeled, grated beets (1-2 medium beets)
2 cups grated carrots (about 4 carrots)
1/2 cup minced onion
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup cooked brown rice
1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
3 Tbs flour
2 Tbs soy sauce or tamari
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a baking sheet with butter.
2. Place a small, heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and stir them on the dry skillet just until lightly browned and fragrant, 3-5 minutes, watching closely to avoid burning them. Immediately remove from heat and transfer the toasted seeds to a dish to cool. Repeat with the sunflower seeds.
3. Combine the beets, carrots, and onion in a large bowl. Stir in the toasted sunflower and sesame seeds, eggs, rice, Cheddar cheese, oil, flour, parsley, soy sauce or tamari, and garlic (using hands works best). Add cayenne and mix until thoroughly combined.
5. Using your hands, shape mixture into 12 patties and arrange them in rows on the baking sheet.
6. Bake the patties until brown around the edge, about 20 minutes. Unless they are very large and thick it should not be necessary to turn them. Serve alone or on buns.