Thanks to multiple CSA members for sharing their favorite ways to use their vegetables from the farm. Enjoy these three recipes and more happy eating!
Carrot and Zucchini Latkes
CSA member, Carol, added that shredded beets are also an excellent addition!
What You Need
1 lb. carrots, peeled
1/2 lb. zucchini
1 small onion
2 eggs, beaten
3 Tbsp. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup BREAKSTONE’S or KNUDSEN Sour Cream
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh chives
GRATE carrots, zucchini and onion using large holes of box grater; place vegetables on center of large clean kitchen towel. Bring up ends of towel and twist together to form pouch. Holding pouch over sink, squeeze out excess moisture from vegetables. Place vegetables in large bowl. Add eggs, flour, salt and pepper; mix well.
HEAT oil in medium nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. For each latke, carefully add 1 Tbsp. of the vegetable mixture to skillet, cooking 2 to 3 latkes at a time. Immediately spread each mound into thin circle with back of spoon. Cook 3 to 4 min. on each side or until golden brown on both sides. Remove latkes from skillet; drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining vegetable mixture.
SERVE each latke topped with 1 tsp. sour cream. Sprinkle with chives.
Kraft Kitchens Tips
Substitute matzo meal for the flour.
Latkes can be made ahead of time. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To reheat, place in single layer in shallow pan. Bake in 350°F oven 10 min. or until heated through.
Recipe can be easily doubled for a larger crowd. Prepare as directed, doubling all ingredients. Makes about 4 doz. or 16 servings.
serves 6-8, from jamieoliver.com
2 sticks of celery
2 medium onions
2 cloves garlic
2 chicken or vegetable stock cubes
2 x 400g tins of plum tomatoes
6 large ripe tomatoes
a small bunch of fresh basil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
I bet you didn’t know it was so easy to make your own tomato soup – this basic recipe won’t take more than 45 minutes, depending on how fast you chop so it’s a great one to have up your sleeve. Give it your own twist by adding some of your favourite herbs and spices; try making it thick or thin, chunky or smooth – the possibilities are endless…
To make your soup:
1. Peel and roughly slice the carrots. Slice the celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and slice the garlic. Put a large pan on a medium heat and a couple lugs of olive oil. Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.
2. Cook for around 10 to 15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
3. Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.5 litres of boiling water from the kettle. Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the pan your tinned and fresh whole tomatoes, including the green stalks that may still be attached to some of them (these give an amazing flavour – trust me!) Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Meanwhile, pick your basil leaves
To serve your soup:
4. Remove the pan from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil leaves. Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until smooth. Season again before dividing between your serving bowls.
Thai Summer Salad
Yield: 10 servings (1/2 cup per serving), Prep Time: 25 min,
3 cups torn napa (Chinese) cabbage
1/2 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut yellow squash
1/2 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut zucchini
1/2 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut red bell pepper
1/2 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut yellow bell pepper
1/2 cup (1/8-inch) julienne-cut seeded peeled cucumber
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
1/4 cup grated radishes
1 minced seeded jalapeno pepper
3 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 Tablespoon fish sauce
1 Tablespoon water
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated white sugar
1/2 teaspoon chile- garlic paste
1. To prepare the salad, combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
2. To prepare the dressing, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until sugar dissolves.
3. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss well. Serve immediately.